viernes, 13 de octubre de 2017

Exit Slip - Role Models

When we think about role models, we tend to think of a person who is doing the right thing and providing good examples of what should be done. In the field of geology for example, there is an image of a white man working in the field doing "heavy" stuff. However,  I believe that in our classrooms, it should not be about portraying what should be right or not. It should be about telling and expressing that there is no fixed stereotype for every single field or action. Stereotypes only offer boundaries, and we as teachers need to erode these stereotypes by showing alternatives and examples.
In my case, I am a South American geologist, who will become a teacher in Canada, and that does not mean I am a good role model because I managed to get into a prestigious institution coming from an underdeveloped country in terms of economy. I achieved my goals because I had passion, determination and a dream, and also because I was really grateful to have a family who supported and keeps up to now supporting me.
I think that a role model is defined by the person who wants to deliver something, and as teachers I believe that sharing our story that took us to where we are now already says a lot. Proving that alternatives and options exist in our classrooms, is priceless.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Entry Slip - Embodied learning

I found the reading really interesting. Although it focuses more in geometry and mathematics, I can see the connection between the approach...